The Painters in Austin guide to all things finishes related
Matte finish vs. satin vs. glossy. This is probably the hardest question you’re asking yourself as you stand in front of the doorway, trying to visualize what paint works best for your renovated bedroom. We, at Painters in Austin are here to break this down for you- we’re here to help you pick the finish for your spaces based on palettes, functionality and aesthetics. Keep reading for more!
The answer is an amalgamation of aesthetics and function. The finish you choose will depend on both the space and the activities you do in the said space. Stay away from matte finishes if you’ve got toddlers running around with paint smeared hands, move towards satin finishes if you’re looking for a luxe bedroom option.
We’re here to help narrow the search for you!
Glossy, matte and satin- here's a quick rundown for what to look for in terms of finishes:
1. The glossier the paint, the easier it is to clean up. If you have small children and the room you are painting has high traffic, like in a playroom, or tends to get grease on the wall such as in a kitchen, opt for high gloss sheen as you can easily wipe the wall down with a damp sponge.
2. This will however make blemishes and imperfections in your wall more apparent and in rooms such as living rooms, could give off an unpleasant shine. High gloss is also great for trim and will give the trim a nice finished look, complementing the flatter sheen of your walls.
3. Semi-gloss would also be a good choice for kitchens and baths as well as trim providing you with ease of wash-ability and less shine than the gloss. It is also slightly cheaper than the gloss finish and is a very common alternative.
4. Satin sheens have a satiny smooth finish to them and could also be used in kitchens, baths and hallways. This may be a good choice if you really want some gloss and paint that can clean easily without the shine of a gloss.
5. If you have walls with lots of imperfections, select a flat or matte paint. You can usually get away with one coat of paint with a flat. The downside to this paint is that it does not stand up well to a good cleaning and does tend to show dirt more so choose this for rooms that will not get lots of fingerprints and dirt on them.
Now that we’ve covered the basics, lets get to work! At Painters in Austin, we’ll help you narrow down your choices, based on the color palettes that you like best and the functionality of the space in question. Painting your home can be a tasking job, but our team of professionals will have your home spruced up and ready for residence in no time at all!